Monday, October 1, 2012

Storytime - Popcorn

I'd like to thank everyone who had a hand in helping me plan this storytime. I don't know what I would have done without my Twitter crew!

Book


Songs/Rhymes
Pop, Pop, Pop
-- Mother Goose on the Loose by Betsy Diamant-Cohen. New York: Neal-Schuman Publishers, Inc., 2006.

POP 
You put the oil in the pot and you let it get hot
You put the popcorn in and you start to grin.
Sizzle, sizzle
Sizzle, sizzle
Sizzle, sizzle
POP!
Start the poem in a crouched position, knees bent, hands on the floor. At "sizzle", s-l-o-w-l-y rise until the final POP!, then jump up in the air.

Activities
Five Little Kernels
Five little kernels sizzling in the pot

All of a sudden, one went POP!
Four little kernels… etc.
Put up the five kernel shapes on the board, as spread out as you can. When you say POP! slap a white popcorn shape right on top of one of the kernels.
--Mel’s Desk
*Melissa has a link to her template for this felt board on her page.

P-O-P
I used my magnetic letters to spell out the word pop. The preschoolers identified each letter as I held it up. We then came up with words that rhyme with pop, and substituted the first P with other letters.

Crafts
Toddler
Cornstalk Pictures. Materials: Popcorn kernels, outline of a cornstalk on cardstock, crayons, glue, and tape. The toddlers glued and taped their kernels to the paper. I reminded the caregivers that the children were working on developing their fine motor skills, the same skills that will help them write in the future.



Preschool
Popcorn Kernel Pictures. Materials: popcorn kernels, white cardstock, glue, tape, crayons, and scissors. The preschoolers colored their paper and then glued their kernels on. They made very imaginative pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment